Tuesday, May 13, 2008

EcoTop

So I recently learned of a new, exciting green option for countertops. I've always been drawn to products like PaperStone and Richlite but they're not necessarily budget friendly. So imagine my delight when, in my typical evening web browsing, I came across EcoTop. According to the website, "EcoTop is composed of a Forest Stewardship Council-certified 50/50 blend of bamboo fiber, a rapidly renewable resource, and recycled wood fiber salvaged from demolition sites. These materials are bound together by a water-based resin formula that is both petroleum-free and VOC-free. Because of this, EcoTop products can earn you up to six points on your next LEED project."

Its creator is actually none other than Joel Klippert, the genius behind PaperStone. Read more about him and his product in this Get With Green article.

Right now, it seems that you can order only it directly from the factory (contact information on the EcoTop website). It apparently comes in multiple colors. I think I like the black best and it will fit in nicely with our modern kitchen design. And I've saved the best for last (no pun intended)...because this product is only $35 a square foot.