Thursday, December 10, 2009

Down South

I promise more interior shots of the house are coming soon. Until then, I thought these photos of our Thanksgiving trip to Alabama would tide everyone over. It's funny how different southern architecture is from what you see up here in Vermont. Yet as we drove around my hometown of Fairhope, Alabama, I realized I actually drew from some of the houses I saw every day as a kid in designing our own...particularly the scale. I have always had a soft spot in my heart for small, cozy cottages and now, looking across all these photos of homes in Fairhope, I think I know why! I also feel like the wraparound front porch on our new house channels a southern aesthetic. (Granted we'll be drinking hot chocolate on ours rather than sweet tea most of the year but still.)

So which one of these cuties is your favorite?














Now if only the shores of Lake Champlain looked like this...